Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The First Entry

I am Helen McKinney. I am in Paradise. I am a student at Hollins University in Virginia, studying creative writing. I will be a writer one day. I am living on this farm for one month to learn as much as possible about organic farming and to learn as much as possible about myself. When the sun sets in Florida the sky is tangerine at the horizon, rises into hot pink and sandwiched between petunia purple. The sky above the horizon is the brightest baby blue i have ever seen. Here is the kicker, no matter where you are in Florida, no matter where you are: there is ALWAYS a black palm tree against the horizon. Whether you be driving or sitting or walking, high up or down low-- I assure you, you will always find a black palm tree set against the horizon. When I'm here, I always look for the mountains of Virginia and realize that as long as I am here I will never find them. I know now that when I am back in Virginia amongst the mountains, I will find myself looking for that Florida sky and black palm trees and realize that as long as I am there, I will never find them.

No comments: